I’ve had a fun day with lay ministers and clergy from Blackburn (Anglican) diocese today, organised by my friend Amy White. Here, here and here are the three sets of slides from my input to the day, covering (i) an introduction to Matthew and how he orgnises his Gospel; (ii) listening to Matthew using Tom Wright’s four ‘louspeakers’ from his excellent book How God Became King on the Gospels; and (iii) walking through Matthew 8–9. Above is one of the books I recommended, by my excellent friend Jeannine Brown.
- Isaiah 7:10-17: slides and video from a sermon 19 December 2022
- Reflecting on SBL Denver 2022 9 December 2022
- Slides and handout on ‘Wealth and possessions according to Acts 11–28’ (my SBL paper) 3 December 2022
- Slides on Matthew 8–9 1 November 2022
- A cracking read: Luke Timothy Johnson’s autobiography as a scholar 31 October 2022
1 Corinthians Acts Bible Biblical Studies Caritas Centre for the Social-Scientific Study of the Bible Chris Keith church cities conference Corinth education Galatians Gospels greek Jesus Judaism learning Luke Luke-Acts Mark Matthew mission news New Testament New Testament Studies Paul Paul and the Faithfulness of God Pauline communities PhD research poverty preaching publishing research Roman empire SBL scholarship Scripture sermon Steve Walton St Mary’s University teaching Tearfund Tom Wright writing