I’ve had a fun day with lay ministers and clergy from Blackburn (Anglican) diocese today, organised by my friend Amy White. Here, here and here are the three sets of slides from my input to the day, covering (i) an introduction to Matthew and how he orgnises his Gospel; (ii) listening to Matthew using Tom Wright’s four ‘louspeakers’ from his excellent book How God Became King on the Gospels; and (iii) walking through Matthew 8–9. Above is one of the books I recommended, by my excellent friend Jeannine Brown.
- Jesus’ message to Smyrna: video and slides from a talk 1 October 2023
- A fine opportunity to learn about Jesus’ parables 29 August 2023
- Slides and a video on Jesus’ meeting with the Canaanite woman (Matthew 15:21-28) 21 August 2023
- Is the Roman Empire a friend or a foe in Acts? 17 August 2023
- Slides and a video on the parable of the wheat and the weeds (Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43) 9 August 2023
1 Corinthians Acts Bible Biblical Studies Caritas Centre for the Social-Scientific Study of the Bible Chris Keith church cities conference Corinth education Galatians Gospels greek Jesus Judaism learning Luke Luke-Acts Mark Matthew mission news New Testament New Testament Studies Old Testament Paul Pauline communities PhD PhD research poverty preaching publishing research Roman empire scholarship Scripture sermon Steve Walton St Mary’s University teaching Tearfund Tom Wright writing