My friend Dr Svetlana Khobnya invited me to talk with her Jesus and the Gospels class at Nazarene Theological College, Manchester, about what the parables teach about the kingdom of God/heaven, and we did it this morning. This was fun! I was particularly struck in preparing by the concentration of ‘The kingdom of God/heaven is like…’ in Matthew and ‘To what shall we compare the kingdom of God?’ (or similar) in Luke, and the lack of such phrases in Mark. Here is a pdf of my slides from this talk; I’d welcome comments.
- Isaiah 7:10-17: slides and video from a sermon 19 December 2022
- Reflecting on SBL Denver 2022 9 December 2022
- Slides and handout on ‘Wealth and possessions according to Acts 11–28’ (my SBL paper) 3 December 2022
- Slides on Matthew 8–9 1 November 2022
- A cracking read: Luke Timothy Johnson’s autobiography as a scholar 31 October 2022
1 Corinthians Acts Bible Biblical Studies Caritas Centre for the Social-Scientific Study of the Bible Chris Keith church cities conference Corinth education Galatians Gospels greek Jesus Judaism learning Luke Luke-Acts Mark Matthew mission news New Testament New Testament Studies Paul Paul and the Faithfulness of God Pauline communities PhD research poverty preaching publishing research Roman empire SBL scholarship Scripture sermon Steve Walton St Mary’s University teaching Tearfund Tom Wright writing