My friend Dr Svetlana Khobnya invited me to talk with her Jesus and the Gospels class at Nazarene Theological College, Manchester, about what the parables teach about the kingdom of God/heaven, and we did it this morning. This was fun! I was particularly struck in preparing by the concentration of ‘The kingdom of God/heaven is like…’ in Matthew and ‘To what shall we compare the kingdom of God?’ (or similar) in Luke, and the lack of such phrases in Mark. Here is a pdf of my slides from this talk; I’d welcome comments.
- Some recent publications 4 May 2021
- The parables and the kingdom of God/heaven—slides 21 April 2021
- A two-part sermon on John 20:19-31 10 April 2021
- Elijah, Elisha, John and Jesus in Luke-Acts: slides 29 March 2021
- A two-part sermon on Mark 15:1-39—Mark’s account of the cross 27 March 2021
1 Corinthians Acts Bible Biblical Studies Caritas Centre for the Social-Scientific Study of the Bible Chris Keith Christian growth church cities conference Corinth ecclesiology education evil Galatians Gospels greek Jesus Judaism learning Luke Luke-Acts Mark news New Testament New Testament Studies Paul Paul and the Faithfulness of God Pauline communities PhD research poverty publishing research Roman empire scholarship scribal literacy Scripture sermon Steve Walton St Mary’s University teaching Tearfund Tom Wright writing