I had the privilege of preaching on Jesus’ message to the church in Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11) as part of a series on the book of Revelation at our church, Emmanuel, Loughborough on the evening of Sunday 1 October. Here are the slides from my talk. My scholarly readers will recognise the influence of Colin Hemer’s superb The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in their Local Setting, and the excellent popularisation of it by Stephen Travis, The Church under Fire, as well as Ian Paul’s more recent commentary on Revelation. As always, thoughts and comments welcome!
- The two witnesses—a video and a handout on Revelation 11 13 February 2024
- Introducing Mark: slides 9 January 2024
- Living from the future to the present: a talk on Isaiah 61:10–62:5 30 December 2023
- An overview of the Bible—slides 2 December 2023
- The seven seals (Revelation 6 + 8:1): slides 26 November 2023
1 Corinthians Acts Bible Biblical Studies Caritas Centre for the Social-Scientific Study of the Bible Chris Keith Christian growth church cities conference Corinth education Galatians Gospels greek Jesus Judaism learning Luke Luke-Acts Mark Matthew mission news New Testament New Testament Studies Paul Pauline communities PhD research poverty preaching publishing research Roman empire scholarship scribal literacy Scripture sermon Steve Walton St Mary’s University teaching Tearfund Tom Wright writing