My review of a fascinating collection of essays, Jesus is Lord—Caesar is Not: Exploring Empire in New Testament Studies, is now available online on Reviews in Biblical and Early Christian Studies. I enjoyed reading this book which makes a valuable and accessible contribution to the debates over the impact of the Roman empire on what the New Testament authors say (especially about Christology) and how they say it. This is a helpful book, and worth reading. Thanks to Dan Batovici and his colleagues for the chance to review it.
- Slides on Exodus 14:5-22: the sea crossing 29 May 2023
- Jesus’ Ascension: slides and a sermon 21 May 2023
- Frank Field’s Politics, Poverty and Belief 8 May 2023
- Slides and video of my talk on Acts 2:22-36 17 April 2023
- Saul’s change of name to Paul 10 April 2023
1 Corinthians Acts Bible Biblical Studies Caritas Centre for the Social-Scientific Study of the Bible Chris Keith church cities conference Corinth education Galatians Gospels greek Jesus Judaism learning Luke Luke-Acts Mark Matthew mission news New Testament New Testament Studies Old Testament Paul Paul and the Faithfulness of God Pauline communities PhD research poverty preaching publishing research Roman empire SBL scholarship Scripture sermon St Mary’s University teaching Tearfund Tom Wright writing